Parent Teacher Association
ABC Council PTA is the largest local volunteer organization working exclusively on behalf of children and youth.. Founded in 1925, ABC Council PTA is:
- A branch of the 7 million member national PTA
- Made up of 28 local units with more than 5000 ABC members seeking to unite home, school and community for all children
- A 501c(3) nonprofit educational organization authorized to accept tax deductible charitable contributions in coalition with state and local agencies cooperating to influence policy makers on the health, education, welfare and safety issues affecting children and youth
- Any mom, dad, teacher, principal, custodian, cafeteria worker, coach, counselor, grandparent, student business person or citizen who believes that children are our future.
The mission of the ABCUSD PTA Council is three-fold:
- To support and speak on behalf all children and youth in the community, and before governmental agencies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children; and
- To assist parents in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children; and
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of this nation.
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and tachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social and spiritual education.
- National PTA
The National PTA (National Congress of Parents and Teachers) is a volunteer educational organization founded in Washington, DC, in 1897. Branches of the National PTA has been established in the fifty states of the United States, the District of Columbia, Virgin Islands, and in schools for American dependents in Europe and the Pacific area.
- State PTA
The California State PTA (California Congress of Parents and Teachers) is a branch of the National PTA serving as a connecting link between the national organization and its membership within the state.
- State PTA Regions
These are geographical divisions of the state designated by number. We are a member of the 33rd District). The State PTA Regions are established by the California State PTA to carry outs its programs within their geographical area. They are also the link between the State PTA and the local units in their area.
- Councils of PTAs and PTSAs
These are created by the California State PTA for the purpose of conference, leadership training and coordination of efforts of the member units. ABC Council is comprised of 28 units.
- Unit PTAs
PTAs and PTSAs are organized and chartered in conformity with rules and regulations as prescribed in the bylaws of the California State PTA. These units are self-governing bodies for the purpose of planning programs and activities to meet local community needs. However, they are required to observe policies of the California State PTA and/or National PTA.
An opportunity to invest in your child's future by:
- Advocating for better conditions for children and families
- Promoting quality education and a true partnership between home and school
- Striving to expand the arts
- Encouraging community involvement
- Working for a healthy environment and safe neighborhoods
A way to influence decisions affecting the welfare of your child. Communicate with local and state decision makers on issues and concerns facing today's children such as:
- Violence prevention in schools, on television, and on the internet
- HIV prevention education and comprehensive school health programs
- Parent involvement programs promoting parent and family participation in education
- Drug-free schools and communities
Benefits of PTA membership
Structure of PTA
Objects of the PTA