ELAC (English Learner Advisory Council)
English Learner Advisory Committee
Each California public school, grades kindergarten through 12, with 21 or more English learners must form an English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC).
- The ELAC shall be responsible for advising the principal and staff on programs and services for English learners and the School Site Council on the development of the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA).
- The ELAC shall assist the school in the development of:
- The school's needs assessment.
- Ways to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
- Parents of English learners comprise at least the same percentage of the ELAC membership as English learners constitute of the school’s total student population. For example, if 25 percent of the students in a school are English learners, then parents/guardians of English learners must comprise 25 percent of the ELAC membership.
- Other members of the ELAC can be parents/guardians, school staff, and /or community members as long as the minimum percentage requirement for EL parents is maintained.