Assembly Bill 104: Graduation Requirements, Grade Changes, & Student Retention

Assembly Bill 104:  Updates to Graduation, Grades, & Retention
Graduation Requirements for 2021-2022 Academic Year
Assembly Bill 104 added Education code section 51225 regarding High School graduation. This law exempts students in their 3rd or 4th year of high school in 2020-21, from local graduation requirements. Thus, current Seniors graduating in June 2022 are exempt from any added district requirements such as service hours, additional courses, or GPA requirements, should the added requirements cause a student not to receive a diploma at the end of their 4th year of high school. Click here for the California Department of Education Fact Sheet on AB104, specific to Section 3.

Grade Changes

In accordance with Assembly Bill 104, ABC Unified will provide for a parent/guardian/education rights holder of a pupil who was enrolled in high school during the 2020-21 academic year (or the pupil, if 18 years of age or older) to have a letter grade earned for any course, as reflected on the pupil’s transcript, changed to a Pass or No Pass grade.   There is no limit to the number or type of courses eligible for the grade change.  In compliance with UC and Cal State guidelines, grades of D-, or higher, are considered "Passing." The deadline to request grade changes related to AB 104 is August 17, 2021. To read a copy of the legislation, CLICK HERE.  AB 104 has been amended by Senate Bill 167, which extends the deadline for grade changes through October 1, 2021, and allows districts discretion on changes requested thereafter.

To request grade changes, parents/guardians may either complete and return the English or Spanish version of the Grade Change Form linked on the right of this page to the school where the grades were earned, or they may complete a digital request form linked here:  ENGLISH FORM or SPANISH FORM.

The bill requires the California State University to accept for admission purposes, without prejudice, a high school transcript with a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade earned during the 2020-2021 school year (pursuant to the provisions of this bill) for any applicant who graduates from a California high school from the 2020-21 school year to the 2023-24 school year, inclusive.  

The bill encourages the University of California and private postsecondary educational institutions to do the same.  However, not all post-secondary institutions will accept a Pass or No Pass instead of a letter grade. Please visit THIS PAGE on the CDE website for a list of California colleges and universities that will accept Pass/No Pass grades for 2020-2021.

Student Retention for 2021-2022

AB 104 (new Education Code §48071) requires school agencies to permit parents of eligible students to request retention in the student's 2020-2021 grade for the 2021-2022 school year. 

Key Components and Timelines:

AB 104 only applies to eligible students:
    • Students in grades K through 11 who, during the 20-21 school year, received deficient grades (a D, F, No Pass, or as otherwise defined by the school agency) in at least half of their courses
Schools must offer a retention consultation meeting to be held within 30 calendar days of receipt of request which shall include:
  • Discussion of all available learning recovery options;
  • Discussion about research on the effects of retention and the benefits of particular interventions and supports for students; and
  • Consideration of the student's academic data and any other information relevant to whether retention is in the student’s best interests both academically and socially.
  • School must issue decision on retention request within 10 calendar days of consultation meeting
  • Students who are retained must be offered specified supplemental interventions and supports
  • Students who are not retained must be offered the same specified supplemental interventions and supports, in addition to access to prior semester courses in which the student received a D or F, some other form of credit recovery, or other specified supports
To request a retention consultation meeting with their student's school administration, parents/guardians must contact their student's school office.