Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
This page is dedicated to providing updates and information about the COVID-19 virus and its impact on the ABC Unified School District. Please check back here often for updates.
For more information about COVID-19, and what to do if you are exposed or are experiencing symptoms, visit the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health COVID-19 website: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/
Exposures to COVID-19
Those exposed to COVID-19 should follow the exposure protocols. Those who are exposed do not need to stay home if they are not experiencing symptoms. However, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health suggests the following actions:
- Wear a well-fitting mask around others through the 10th day after exposure, especially when indoors
- Test for COVID-19 between the third and fifth day after exposure
- Monitor health for 10 days after exposure
Positive Cases of COVID-19
If a student or District employee tests positive for COVID-19, regardless if they are experiencing symptoms or not, they must remain home and follow the isolation protocols from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. Contact their school and advise them of the positive test result.
- Those with a confirmed case of COVID-19 must stay home
- Isolation may end after the fifth day from the positive test or onset of symptoms if there is no fever for at least 24 hours without the use of medication and symptoms have resolved or are mild and improving (It is strongly recommended that another test is given between the sixth and 10th day after testing positive or the onset of symptoms to reduce the chances of infecting others)
- Those who still have symptoms that are not improving must stay home until after the 10th day after testing positive or the onset of symptoms
- Those returning to school should wear a mask indoors around others, except for eating and drinking, through a full 10 days after testing positive or the onset of symptoms
Exposure to COVID-19 at School
ABCUSD will follow the safety protocols from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health for those identified as a close contact with a positive case of COVID-19 at school. Close contacts who do not have symptoms may remain at school, but should wear a mask for 10 days after the date of exposure, test for COVID-19 three to five days after the date of exposure, and monitor their health for symptoms for 10 days after the date of exposure. Those who are symptomatic should remain home and follow the isolation precautions noted above.
Schools will notify families of potentially exposed students and the school community when there is a positive case of COVID-19 at school.