Board Advisory Commitees
ABC Unified School District continually seeks individuals willing to serve on district committees and task forces to study issues involving the education of ABC Unified School District students. The Board Advisory Committees are under the direction of a Board liaison and District staff liaison. Recommendations and presentations are made to the Board of Education. The Board seeks diverse community representation and includes parents, community members, students, teachers, and staff members.
To apply to become a member of one of the following committees, complete the ABC Unified School District Board Advisory Committee Application and return it to the Superintendent’s Office, 16700 Norwalk Blvd., Cerritos, CA 90703. The applications will be retained for a period of two years. When an opening occurs, the Board will review the applications. All members are approved by the Board of Education prior to serving on the Committee.
Following are descriptions of the Board Advisory Committees and list of current Advisory Committee members appointed by the Board of Education.
Diversity, Unity and Equity Board Advisory Committee
The Diversity, Unity, and Equity Board Advisory Committee prioritizes issues of equity and social justice. Collaborate with district leaders to develop recommendations and a plan of action to be presented to the Board of Education that will include policy, procedures, and school support recommendations. The committee explores anti-racist programs; and monitors progress and outcomes of recommendations implemented.
Legislative/Policy Board Advisory Committee
The Legislative/Policy committee reviews and makes recommendations to existing Board policies and administration regulations that need to be revised and updated. As new laws become enacted, such as Education Codes or new legislation, the Committee will review new policies for the District based on the staff recommendations from ad-hoc groups or committees.
Finance & Audit Board Advisory Committee
The Finance & Audit Board Advisory Committee reviews and makes recommendations regarding:
- The Governor’s Budget Proposals & May Revision
- The State Adopted Budget
- The District’s annual Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) & Budget
- The District’s first and second interim reports
- The District’s annual audit report
- Monthly enrollment and attendance information
- Any other information relating to the District’s Finance & Audit
Strategic Plan Board Advisory Committee
The Strategic Plan Committee focuses on the Board adopted Strategic Plan and Initiatives. Each year, the Committee reviews and makes recommendations regarding the progress of the work in the Strategic Plan areas. Each year the Strategic Plan Committee makes a presentation to the Board evaluating progress on the Strategic Plan.
Student Transfer Committee
The committee, in making its recommendations to approve or deny a parent/guardian’s request to transfer their students from the regular school of attendance, shall follow board policy and administrative regulations pertaining to intradistrict and interdistrict transfers.
School Facilities Capacities & Declining Enrollment Ad Hoc Committee
The School Facilities Capacities & Declining Enrollment Ad Hoc Committee will prioritize issues of declining enrollment and efficient use of facilities by doing the following.
- Collaborate with district leaders and partners to develop recommendations and a plan of action to be presented to the Board of Education that will include a demographer projection, internal enrollment projections, and possible facility consolidation; and
- Explore how low enrollment affects academics and student performance; and
- Hold town hall meetings with parents and community members; and
- Look at qualitative data; and
- Monitor progress and outcomes of recommendations implemented.