California Healthy Youth Act (Sexual Health & HIV Prevention Education)
Secondary Implementation of California Healthy Youth Act
What is the California Healthy Youth Act?
The California Healthy Youth Act (CHYA), Education Code (EC) sections 51930-51939, defines comprehensive sexual health and HIV prevention education for grades 7 - 12. The law requires that both comprehensive sexual health and HIV prevention education are taught once in middle school and once in high school. The statute has five primary purposes:
- To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to protect their sexual and reproductive health from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections and from unintended pregnancy;
- To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills they need to develop healthy attitudes concerning adolescent growth and development, body image, gender, sexual orientation, relationships, marriage, and family;
- To promote understanding of sexuality as a normal part of human development;
- To ensure pupils receive integrated, comprehensive, accurate, and unbiased sexual health and HIV prevention instruction and provide educators with clear tools and guidance to accomplish that end;
- To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to have healthy, positive, and safe relationships and behaviors
ABC Unified recognizes the importance of the parent/guardian relationship with students and the school community. The Office of Secondary Education wants to empower parents and guardians to make the best decision possible for your family in regards to the California Healthy Youth Act. Here are the resources and tools available to you:
- Notification with information regarding the law in both the summer mailer and through a site letter sent home at least two weeks prior to instruction. (See sample letters below for your reference)
- Preview of curriculum and student resources via Zoom Meeting (please call us to make an appointment).
- Annual Parent nights for further information. If you cannot make it to a parent night, you can make an appointment for a Zoom Meeting (please call us to make an appointment).
- Option to Opt Out of any of all lessons associated with CHYA by simply turning in a request in writing to your school office. No form is needed. An email to the school administrator and school teacher is acceptable this year due to COVID-19.
We acknowledge the personal nature of this decision and are available to help answer your questions. Please contact us at (562) 926-5566 extension 21132 for further information or to set an appointment. (Reference ABCUSD Board Policy 6142.1)
Middle School Parent Preview Presentation: Click Here
High School Parent Preview Presentation: Click Here