Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is an evidence-based educational opportunity for young learners. TK is the first year of a two-year program that provides children with a developmentally-appropriate full-day learning experience taught by credentialed teachers and paraprofessionals. See TK enrollment age eligibility below.
Benefits of TK - (TK California, 2023)
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) bridges the path between preschool and Kindergarten
and gives students the gift of time that will help them build a strong foundation for future
school success. It blends social and emotional experiences with academic learning, so that
students not only learn essential pre-literacy, pre-math, and other cognitive skills, but also
develop social and self-regulation skills needed to succeed in school and life.
As of August 2023, all of our elementary schools with the exception of Cerritos Elementary** is offering a TK program. **Placement for Cerritos ES TK students: Gonsalves ES/Stowers ES
- All TK students are assigned to their school of residence.
- School of Choice and intra-district permits are not part of the TK program.
- If a student was assigned to a different school due to over-enrollment or no TK program at their school of residence, the TK placement is valid for only that year. Students will return to their school of residence for Kindergarten or may apply for School of Choice for Kindergarten.
Important TK Enrollment Age Eligibility:
- In 2022–23: 5 years old between September 2 and February 2*
- In 2023–24: 5 years old between September 2 and April 2*
- In 2024–25: 5 years old between September 2 and June 2*,
- In 2025–26, TK will be available to all children who will have their fourth birthday by September 1* of the school year.