Juarez Academy of Engineering & Technology
A 21st Century Learning Environment.
Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year! We are looking forward to another exciting year for students, staff and parents of Juarez Academy of Engineering & Technology!
Our mission: Ensuring all students realize their full potential.
At Juarez Academy we are dedicated to providing an educational experience that combines rigorous academic study with the excitement of discovery. We seek to develop in each student the ability and passion to think critically, communicate and collaborate effectively, and use their creative talents in all content areas.
- Engineering Lab for all students, K-6th
- Project Lead the Way school-wide
- Technology Media Center for all students, K-6th
- 1:1 technology integration 2nd – 6th grades
- 2:1 technology integration in grades K and 1st
- Annual Engineering Showcase
- Student Clubs and Teams – Engineering Team, Student Ambassadors, Recycling Club, Track Team, Reading Olympics Team, Peer Mentors
- Special activities to increase interest in higher education and careers – College Days, Career Fair, Friday Electives, Science Fair, participation in STEM Olympics
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
- After school learning opportunities – After school tutorial, Homework Club, Extended Time to Raise Achievement program (EXTRA)
- Parents Take the Lead – Parent Academy
- Continuing professional learning for teachers in instructional technology integration, common core standards, 21st Century Skill Development, Thinking Maps, Project Lead the Way, and Engineering is Elementary
A FOCUS ON 21ST CENTURY SKILLS
At Juarez we focus on the development of 21st Century skills (communication, collaboration, critical thinking and creativity). We believe that it is our responsibility to help prepare students for a global society that requires levels of information and technological literacy that goes far beyond basic knowledge. This year we have eleven 1:1 mobile device classes where students are able to use technology as a personal learning tool every day. Joining the technology revolution this year will be our Kindergarten and 1st grade students who will have a 2:1 ratio of iPad devices in their classrooms! In addition, we continue to use project-based learning as a teaching method to help build the skills that students will need to be successful in college, career and in life. This can best be seen at our annual Engineering Showcase in the Spring!
PROMOTING A POSITIVE CULTURE
Juarez Academy utilizes Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS).
PBIS is a research-based school-wide framework that defines expected behaviors and reinforces them through positive, proactive strategies. The idea is to help students become intrinsically motivated to make positive choices. Appropriate student behaviors are taught to students just like any other subject matter. Rather than focusing solely on what not to do, we emphasize our three school-wide behavior expectations: Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Responsible. We believe this gives each child more opportunity for success both socially and academically.
PARENT AND COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS
Juarez embodies a vibrant culture and will continue to do so through innovative programs and creative parent and community partnerships. There are many opportunities for parent engagement at Juarez Academy such as School Site Council, English Learner Advisory Committee, volunteering in the classroom and PTA. Our wonderfully supportive PTA sponsors various activities such as Trunk or Treat, Jog-a-thon, Science Family Night, Spring Fling, Family Picnic on the Grass, Community Read Aloud and many other fundraisers, family nights, field trips, and assemblies. Because we value our parent community and recognize that effective communication promotes this partnership, we use a variety of communication tools – school Edline webpage, email communications, Instagram, Twitter, and REMIND.
PROJECT LEAD THE WAY
Juarez is proud to be the only elementary in our district with Project Lead the Way. Our PLTW Launch program, which began in 6th grade, has expanded school-wide to now include all students in grades K-6th. Our goal is to build lifelong interest in science, technology, engineering and math. We are confident that our PLTW program along with our Engineering Lab will help to build confidence in our students and put them on course for strong accomplishments in middle school, high school and beyond.